6.07.2009

hi, it's me in my new top

I always want to sew things for myself but I can count on one finger, just one, the item in my closet that I made and that I wear. I am really particular about what I like and what fits me right.
So this weekend I ventured to make myself something for this summer, and my goodness, I like it. I even wore it today out in public! Yeah! After seeing this shirt on A Stitch in Dye blog, I found out the pattern: Simplicity 4589. I skipped on over to Hancock's and used some Amy Butler fabric to make it. It took just a couple hours and the pattern was pretty straight forward. I will certainly make it again. Maybe trying out some of the other versions. And 2 warnings: the pictures on the cover of the pattern are pretty dated and ugly, it is cooler than that and second: make sure you check the size and measurements on the pattern before you buy it. I normally wear a size 6/8 and I was a 14 in this pattern.
Also got some more work on my quilt done and will share that this week. Last 3 days of school coming up so we are all busy and excited in this house right now! Yeah for summer!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute, cute, cute! (And it helps that it matches your banner.)

brown robin said...

love it! love it! love it!do you think i can borrow it from you... pretty please. i'm an 8... i could do it in the green dots, cut my hair short, and we can walk around looking like twins (sort of.)

peaknits said...

What a sweet top! Nice work - thanks for sharing your hints!

Betsy said...

love it! so so cute. and your quilt is coming together so nicely too! good for you.

Dana said...

so cute! how does it wash up? does it need ironing every time?

Kristin said...

This is such a cute shirt. Great job!

Susan said...

It's adorable! The goofy sizing on patterns is enough to turn me off of sewing clothing, I've wasted so much fabric making things that didn't fit no matter how carefully I measured. So I'm thrilled that you were able to figure it out! Yay for you. And I'd like to know about the ironing, too. :)

Oh, if you need another top to make, Lila Tueller's Funked Out Peasant Blouse is cute and fun. I did make one of those, but I was sweating bullets for fear of it not fitting.